Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

Easy chicken pot pie, the ultimate comfort food.

pot pie recipe


This time of year I love casserole type dinners. Real comfort food. A couple times a year I like to make Chicken Pot Pie. Not a favorite of my husbands but every once in a while the cook rules and I make it. What is not to love about creamy baked goodness surrounded by crust. I love pie crust. It's my favorite part.  So the other  night I craved this dish but had no ready made pie crusts in the freezer. What to do? I didn't want to roll out a pie crust. I wanted easy. Off to my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and found a recipe called:

Easy Oil Pastry (and it was easy and yummy too)

For one piecrust...
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tblsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cooking oil
3 tblsp. milk
In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add oil and milk all at once to flour mixture. Stir lightly with fork. Form into a ball. Press a little more than half the dough in a 9in. pie plate. Fill and then what I did was take the remaining dough and sort of crudely rolled it out and pieced a top together. It baked up so nicely.


Easy Chicken Pot Pie Filling

For the filling I used two generous cups of diced cooked chicken, half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables a can of cream of mushroom soup and half a can of evaporated milk (I was out of milk). I added some dollops if cream cheese (wanted to use it up). Baked about 30 mins at 375. I just eye balled it until it looked nice and brown and bubbly.





11 comments:

  1. mmmmm...that looks divine...i love comfort food especially this season.Have a great remainer of the week...Mica/The Child's paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds and looks good. Husbands can be picky I know mine is
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Chicken Pot Pie will be a great hit here today at Full Plate Thursday, I can't wait to get it on my plate. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loooks, ...yummmy for the tummy... great job on the eyeballing, these are the best recipes at times ....
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that crust for meat pot pies, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that it is so simple! Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Yours looks simply delicious!!! I host a new food linky called, Fun w/ Food Friday. I would LOVE for you to come by and link up some of your DELICIOUS recipes if you have time.

    http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh we LOVE chicken pot pie at our house! Even my kiddos will eat the vegetables when they are all covered up in yummy pie crust! :-) Thanks so much for linking this up to the party this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby won't eat any potpies so I won't get to try this one. I'm so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, it's definitely comfort food!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, chicken pot pie is one of our favorite dishes in our house. I love making it because I know we have a lot of leftovers for the next day.
    I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi stopping by from Mom's Sunday Cafe, I included this wonderful post in my Wednesday and wandering series. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete