Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Mom's Best Easy Roll Out Sugar Cookies

I have tested many sugar cookie roll out recipes and always come back to this one. The perfect thick chewy sugar cookie recipe. Plus the recipe is written in my mother's beautiful cursive writing and I love just looking at it. This cut out Christmas cookie recipe is a must for your holiday baking.

Christmas cookies, cut out cookie recipe

One batch of my mom's sugar cookie recipe baked and ready to be decorated. I thought I would share the recipe. It makes a nice thick not too sweet cookie. With the frosted icing adding so much sweetness this is the perfect cut out recipe.

Audrey's Easy Roll Sugar Cookies
4 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 egg yolks
1/3 c. milk

Measure flour in large bowl and add baking powder and salt stirring to mix and set aside. Cream  butter in mixer and add sugar gradually and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time and vanilla beating until well blended. Add dry ingredients and milk. Continue beating until well blended. Chill dough wrapped in plastic wrap for at least an hour or overnight.
Roll 1/2 inch thick cut outs and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for eight to 10 minutes or until they just start to brown on bottom edges.
After they cool, decorate with icing.



16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe we have some serious Sugar Cookie lovers in this house and I always like trying a new recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar cookies are so amazing! Have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet these are wonderful, Elaine. I will stick this in my favorites to try. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always used the Rich Roll cookie recipe from Joy of Cooking, but I'm always on the lookout for good cookie recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your Mom's recipe with us. I am definitely going to try this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make and bake the best stuff! I'm sure your family appreciates it.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be trying this tomorrow. If anyone reads the last last post on my blog, you'll see why I need a new recipe!I ended up throwing my batch in the trash!! After 5 years of success! LOL! Maybe it's the weather..yeaH, that's it!

    Lori Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are correct...the cookies do not need to be sweet! The icing is sweet enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This recipe is a keeper! Just finished icing them and they are superb! This will be my go-to sugar cookie recipe from now on!!

    Lori Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first rolled out sugar cookie recipe I've seen with milk. (I've read of of recipes per Google). I like a little sweetness to the cookie but the icing gives the right balance. My Q is- does the milk make the dough real sticky? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa not at all. I flour the dough for rolling but it works beautifully. This cookie is not too sweet. I like the sweetness to come from the icing. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good sugar cookie recipe! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I had a couple right now, with a nice cup of tea! Keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! These would be great with an icy cold glass of milk!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete